For High School Staff
UW MSUB is now UW STEMsub
To avoid confusion with other programs at the schools, UW Math Science Upward Bound is changing it’s name to UW STEMsub! Note that our UW STEMsub program is separate from any other Upward Bound program that may serve your school.
UW STEMsub Student Eligibility
UW STEMsub (Math Science Upward Bound) is a federally funded TRIO program created to assist high school students who are low-income (as defined by federal guidelines) and/or who have parents who have not received a four-year college degree. We are currently accepting applications from Sophomores at Chief Sealth, Cleveland, and Franklin High Schools in Seattle, WA.
Please refer any students who you feel are a good fit for our program by Completing the STAFF REFERRAL FORM.
The ideal UW STEMsub candidate:
- Is low-income (most eligible for Free or Reduced Lunch would qualify) and/or would be the first-generation in their immediate family to earn a four-year college degree
- Is a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Is a Sophomore at Chief Sealth, Cleveland, or Franklin High School in Seattle, WA at the time of application
- Is interested in pursuing a college degree in Math, Science, Engineering, or Technology (STEM)
- Shows ability or potential in STEM fields
- Is motivated to go to and complete college
- Has a need for and would benefit from the services provided by UW STEMsub
- Is not currently being served by another Federal TRIO Program (Upward Bound, TRIO Talent Search, or Gear Up)
Staff Recommendation Forms
As part of their applications, students must submit: 1. A recommendation from a Math or Science teacher and 2. A recommendation from their Counselor (or a teacher if they have known their counselor less than six months). Students should give you a paper copy of the recommendation to complete. If you prefer, you can use the PDF form below to submit a recommendation for your students.
BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE FORM AND SAVE IT TO YOUR COMPUTER FIRST. Otherwise you might lose all your work. Once you’ve downloaded and saved the empty form to your computer, complete and re-save it, then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. No need to sign recommendation forms submitted electronically from your school email account. Thanks!
- Counselor Recommendation Form 2017 (Be sure to SAVE to your computer BEFORE completing)
- Teacher Recommendation 2017 (Be sure to SAVE to your computer BEFORE completing)
|March 3, 2017
|March 31, 2017
||Students and families notified if Accepted, Denied, or on Waiting List|
|July 3, 2017
||Summer Academy Begins on UW Campus|
|August 11, 2017
||Last Day of Summer Academy; Award Ceremony|
|Sept 2017 – May 2018
||Tutoring & Academic Year Services; Student Workshops at UW|
Note: Dates subject to change
Program Info and Flyers
Below are PDFs of UW MSUB flyers. Download Acrobat Reader to view the files.
- We are encouraging students to complete Part 1 of their applications online at http://uwmsub.org/apply/. They will then be able to download and print Part 2 of their application that includes sensitive information and required signatures. They need to turn in Part 2 of their applications to their Counselors by March 3rd.
- Students can also apply using a paper version of the complete application.
General MSUB Info
Please call us at (206) 543-9288 or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions or if you would like to refer a student.